Wedding invitations can sometimes be confusing when it comes to what to wear. Most of them require formal or semi-formal attire, and with the time and location of the event, it can be difficult to decide on the appropriate outfit. If you have a wedding to attend at 4 pm but are not sure what to wear, keep reading as we cover everything you need to know about what to wear to a wedding at 4 in the afternoon.
What does Wedding Invitation Dress Codes Mean?
A dress code is an excellent way to set the tone for your wedding, and it also helps guests to know what to wear. However, the most common dress code on wedding invitations is “semi-formal,” which can be confusing.
Semi-formal is less formal than black-tie, but more formal than cocktail attire. It sometimes called “dressy casual” and typically means a dress or a skirt with a blouse for women and a suit and tie for men. In short, Semi-formal attire is dressier than office or business casual, but more relaxed than black-tie.
What to Wear to a Wedding at 4 PM
To get started, it’s essential to check the wedding invitation for the dress code. Even if it doesn’t specify the dress code, the time of day and the venue can tell you the dress code you should aim for. Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
- Cocktail dress: A cocktail dress is an excellent option for a 4 pm wedding, especially if it is indoors. It should be an elegant dress that is not too long or too short. A little black dress can also be a stylish option for a semi-formal wedding.
- Midi or maxi dress: A midi or maxi dress can be an excellent option for an outdoor wedding. Look for beautiful prints or patterns, and consider the use of accessories like hats or belts.
- Skirt and blouse: A skirt and blouse are perfect for a semi-formal wedding. Choose a skirt that is not too short or too long, and match it with a blouse that goes well with your accessories, such as earrings, bracelets or necklaces.
- Pants: A chic and classy pair of trousers may also be appropriate for a semi-formal wedding. Ensure the trousers fit well, and pair them with a blouse or top that complements the outfit.
- Suit and tie: A suit and tie are perfect for a semi-formal 4 pm wedding. Choose a dark or neutral-colored suit that fits perfectly and avoid light-colored suits that are best for daytime weddings. An elegant necktie is the perfect accessory for the suit.
- Dress pants and blazers: Dress pants and blazers are excellent for a semi-formal wedding, but be mindful of the colors. A grey or navy blazer with dress pants is a fantastic alternative to a suit and tie.
- Dress shirt and pants: A dress shirt and dress pants are acceptable ensembles for a 4 pm semi-formal wedding. Ensure the dress shirt is tucked in and the top button is buttoned.
Dos and Don’ts for a 4 PM Wedding
- Keep it simple and elegant.
- Accessorize your outfit with chic jewelry, belts, hats, or scarves.
- Pay attention to the wedding’s location and time.
- Avoid wearing white. It’s the bride’s day.
- Don’t wear sneakers or flip-flops.
- Avoid wearing anything too revealing or too casual.
In conclusion, what you wear to a wedding at 4 pm depends mostly on the wedding type, location and dress code. The wedding must feel like a special occasion, but you don’t need to overdo it. Follow the tips outlined here to have a great time and know you are appropriately dressed for the occasion. A little bit of sparkle, chic accessories, and smart color choices will go a long way to ensuring you look and feel great at any wedding.
Is 4pm considered an evening wedding?
The timing of a wedding is an important factor to consider when planning a celebration. Generally, the timing of a wedding determines the formality of the celebration, as well as what guests can expect in terms of the menu and overall atmosphere. While there are no strict rules regarding what constitutes an afternoon or evening wedding, there are some generally accepted guidelines.
Traditionally, a daytime wedding is considered to be a celebration that takes place before 6 p.m. These events are typically more casual in nature and often feature lighter fare, such as brunch or afternoon tea. Daytime weddings are also typically less formal in terms of dress code, although guests are still expected to dress up.
On the other hand, evening weddings are typically held after 6 p.m. These events are generally considered to be more formal than their daytime counterparts and often include a sit-down dinner and dancing. The dress code for an evening wedding is typically more formal as well, with guests expected to wear cocktail attire or more formal attire.
With this in mind, it can be argued that a wedding taking place at 4 p.m. could fall into either category, depending on the couple’s preference for the formality of their special day. If the couple is looking for a more casual, daytime celebration, a 4 p.m. ceremony may be suitable. However, if they are looking for a more formal evening wedding, they may want to consider a later start time, such as 6 p.m. or later.
The decision regarding whether a 4 p.m. wedding is considered an evening wedding will come down to the couple’s personal preference and the overall tone they wish to set for their special day.
Is it OK to wear black to a 4 o’clock wedding?
Wearing black to a wedding has been a topic of debate for years. Some people believe that black is a color typically reserved for funerals or mourning, whereas others argue that black is a classic and elegant color choice for any formal occasion. However, it’s important to note that times have changed, and fashion rules have become more relaxed. Nowadays, it is generally acceptable to wear black to a wedding.
When deciding whether to wear black or not, it’s important to consider the wedding’s time and formality. If the wedding is a formal evening event, then black is always a safe choice. If the wedding is during the day, then you still can wear black, but it’s more appropriate to add some color or accessories that will brighten up your look and not make it look too somber.
For a 4 o’clock wedding, wearing black is entirely acceptable, but there are some things to keep in mind. Opt for a black dress that is not too revealing, not too short, and not too tight-fitting, as it’s important to respect the wedding’s formality. You can complement your black dress with some colorful or statement jewelry, shoes, or a clutch that will make your outfit stand out. You can also add a pop of color with a colorful cardigan or shawl.
Wearing black to a 4 o’clock wedding is completely fine, as long as you keep in mind the wedding’s formality and style. Remember that your outfit should reflect your personality and individual style, but also show respect and consideration for the couple’s big day.
What length dress do you wear to an afternoon wedding?
When attending an afternoon wedding, it’s important to consider the level of formality required. While afternoon weddings tend to be less formal than evening events, it’s still crucial to dress appropriately. When selecting a dress for an afternoon wedding, consider opting for light colors and fabrics that match the occasion’s atmosphere. Floral patterns, pastels, and airy fabrics such as chiffon or lace are all ideal choices to wear to an afternoon wedding.
In terms of dress length, it’s typically best to avoid floor-length gowns, which can be too formal for an afternoon wedding. Instead, try a dress that falls just below the knee or a dressy skirt paired with a top. This length is both celebratory and respectful without being overly formal. However, in some cases, the dress code for an afternoon wedding can be slightly more formal than you expect, so if in doubt, it’s always best to err on the side of dressing up a bit.
If you’re not a fan of dresses, or if you prefer a more modern look, consider wearing a pantsuit. An elegant pantsuit can be a stylish alternative to a traditional dress for an afternoon wedding, and in some cases, it may be more comfortable to wear. However, it’s essential to ensure the pantsuit is dressy enough to match the event’s level of formality.
When deciding on what length dress to wear to an afternoon wedding, it’s important to consider the event’s level of formality, the time of day, and the overall atmosphere of the occasion. Opt for light-colored fabrics, avoid floor-length gowns, and consider a dress that falls just below the knee or a dressy skirt paired with a top. Alternatively, you can opt for an elegant pantsuit if that better aligns with your personal style.