Skip to Content

How do you address a family for a wedding?

The wedding day is a special day for the couple who are tying the knot, but it is also an event that family and friends look forward to. One of the primary tasks of planning a wedding is sending out invitations to the guests. Addressing the invitations can be a daunting task, especially if you want to include the entire family. Here’s a guide on how to address a family for a wedding:

Addressing the Outer Envelope

The outer envelope should include the full names and address of the guests you are inviting. When adding the names of a family, you can address it as “The Armstrong Family” or “The Smith Family.” This means that you are inviting every member of the family, including children. It is essential to spell every name and address correctly to avoid any confusion or delays in delivery.

Addressing the Inner Envelope

If you are opting for a two-envelope system, you can include additional information on the inner envelope that you couldn’t on the outer. When addressing a family, it is best to include the names of the members of the family you are inviting. For example, on the inner envelope, you can write “Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong” or “Tom, Mary, and Johnny Smith.” This method lets you show an additional level of formality and adds a personal touch too.

Addressing Unmarried Couples

Suppose you are inviting an unmarried couple, whether they live together or not. In that case, you should address the envelope to both partners, adding the names in alphabetical order. For instance, “Mr. John Doe and Ms. Jane Smith.”

Addressing Children

When addressing an invitation to children, you can include their names on the outer envelope, or the inner envelope or both. If you are inviting children over the age of 18, they should have their invitations separately. For children under the age of 18, you can include them in the family name on the outer envelope.

Addressing Divorced Couples

If you are inviting a divorced couple to the wedding, It is best to ask that the divorced couple be seated separately. Address the outer envelope using each individual’s name, for instance, “Mr. John Doe and Ms. Jane Smith.” If one of the guests uses a different surname, use them separately on the envelope. In the case of a woman who has reverted to her maiden name, use Miss or Ms. followed by their name.

Addressing a Widow or Widower

If you are inviting a widow or widower, use their full name on the envelope. Avoid any abbreviations, include the term ‘or Mrs.’ or ‘Mrs.’ as appropriate. For example, “Mrs. Jane Doe.”


Addressing a family for a wedding may seem like a small detail, but it goes a long way in inviting the guests. The right address on the envelope will make the guests feel appreciated and honored. Remember to check prints and spelling to ensure that there are no errors in the addresses. With The guide above, you can now address the wedding invitations correctly.


How do you address Mr and Mrs and family?

Addressing a married or cohabiting couple can be a formal way of showing respect. When addressing a couple, it is important to use their appropriate titles. To address a married couple you can use the traditional form “Mr. and Mrs.” followed by the husband’s first and last name. For example, “Mr. and Mrs. John Smith.”

However, it is now also widely accepted to address a married couple with both of their first names joined together with “and.” For example, “Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Smith.” This creates a more personal and less traditional form of address.

If one partner has a title such as Doctor or Professor, it is important to include that title before their name. For example, “Doctor and Mrs. John Smith.”

When addressing a family, use the family’s last name preceded by “The.” For example, “The Smiths.” This form of address is both respectful and all-inclusive of the entire family.

Alternatively, if you know the individual family members’ titles and names, you can address the family members by name, for example, “Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and their children Jack and Jill.”

It is important to use the appropriate titles when addressing a married or cohabiting couple. Addressing a family can be done with the family name preceded by “The” or by addressing each member by name if you are familiar with them.

How do you address a wedding invitation to a family with no inner envelope?

When addressing a wedding invitation, it’s important to properly address each member of the family. If you don’t have an inner envelope to use, it’s still important to make sure that each member of the family is properly identified on the outer envelope.

If you’re addressing an invitation to a family with no inner envelope, you should follow a few guidelines. First, you should list the names of the parents and the children on the outer envelope. Write the parents’ names first, followed by the children’s names, in order of their ages, starting with the oldest child. If the children are over 18, they should receive their own separate invitation, but if they are under 18, you can include them on their parents’ invitation.

It’s important to properly format the names when addressing the invitation. Use titles such as Mr., Mrs., or Ms. to show respect and formality. If the family has a specific title, such as Dr. or Judge, be sure to include that as well. When listing the children’s names, be sure to use their full names.

If you have a particularly close relationship with the family, it’s also appropriate to use familiar names for close family members. For example, if you’re close with the family, you can address the invitation to “Aunt Martha and Uncle Bill” or “Grandma and Grandpa.”

In general, it’s important to communicate clearly on an invitation so that all guests feel included and welcomed. By following these guidelines, you can ensure that the family feels respected and properly identified on the invitation.

How do you address a wedding envelope to your parents?

When it comes to addressing wedding invitations, there may be some confusion as to how to address the envelopes to your parents. Addressing your parents on the envelope has to be done properly to show respect and honor towards them, particularly if they are contributing financially or hosting the wedding.

One thing to keep in mind is that addressing envelopes to your parents is different from addressing them to your future in-laws. You may be tempted to address your parents as ‘Mother’ and ‘Father’, which is a valid option. However, this may sound a bit contrived unless those are the terms you usually use to refer to your parents in everyday conversation.

A better approach would be to use whatever name you naturally call your parents. If you call your parents by their first names, it is acceptable to use those names when addressing them on the envelope. In this case, you can address the envelope with “John Smith and Mary Smith”, or whatever your parents’ names are.

If you typically refer to your parents using more traditional titles like “Mom” and “Dad”, you can address the envelope using these titles. For instance, “Mom and Dad” or “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” if you feel more comfortable using formal titles. If your parents are divorced and both are hosting the wedding, then you’ll address the envelope separately to each of them.

It’s important to note that if both of your parents have different surnames, it’s customary to include both of their last names when addressing the envelope. You could use a slash mark between the names, such as “Mr. John Smith/Mrs. Mary Johnson,” to indicate that they are married. If your parents are unmarried, it’s also appropriate to address them using their full names.

The key to addressing wedding invitations to your parents is to use whatever title you feel most comfortable with and to show them the respect and honor they deserve. By putting some thought into this detail, you can ensure that your wedding invitations are addressed correctly and appreciate their contributions and support towards your special day.