This breathtaking beach engagement session will make you want to get engaged all over again! Read the details below about how Clover and Brenda met and got engaged:
- How, when and where did you meet? We met in 2009 through a mutual friend. We were actually out dancing at a Latin night club in Los Angeles. There was a group of us, all mutual friends, the first time we met. Brenda refused to dance with me on our first meeting…so I wasn’t sure if she was interested. She was very shy and private. I on the other hand am very social.. It wasn’t until the 2nd time we saw each other she danced all night with me. Brenda gave me a kiss before I took her home. I believe the kiss is what put a spell on me. We dated ever since then. We have never left each other’s side. We have been there for each other through good and bad times. Brenda is kindhearted, loving, unselfish, family oriented and has a beautiful smile. I am hardworking, loyal, outgoing, strong, and personable. We compliment each other in strange ways.
- Would you consider yourselves opposites? Or more similar? Brenda and I are very opposite yet we have grown to become very similar. There is a big age difference between us. Brenda is 26 and I am 38. I feel that I have a young spirit and Brenda has an old soul. I am Thai and Brenda is Mexican. She would rather stay home and watch Netflix while I would rather be out hiking. We also have different religious beliefs. Brenda is Catholic and I’m Buddhist. Brenda is a city girl and I’m from the valley. I feel we have many differences yet still are able to enjoy each other and compromise. The most interesting thing is that we learned to love, respect and accept everything about each other. This keeps our relationship very healthy. She is my best friend.
- Why did you choose to do engagement pictures? We chose engagement photos because we never had professional photos taken as a couple. We have always wanted to express our love in ways that we can keep forever. Engagement photos are also meaningful to us because they are the first photos taken before our marriage. We chose Santa Monica Beach and the Pier because this location was where we had our first real date. We love to come here on our free time because there is plenty to do. Eat, shop and the beach! The atmosphere makes us comfortable to be ourselves because of the people and the surroundings.
- What are the biggest obstacles you have had to overcome in your relationship? Our biggest obstacle would have to be finances. We both are independent women and for 2 people to come from different walks of life can be challenging. We had to compromise on living arrangements, bills, car payments, food etc..But after 7 years I think we have a good understanding about our finances. Communication is Key. We have to talk and express our feelings or a relationship could never work.
- Tell us about the plans for your wedding. Will it be big, small? Why? Our wedding will be on a beautiful 3 story yacht in the city of Newport Beach. We have chosen this venue and location because we wanted to be different. Everyone we know has wedding in a church, hall, or usually just on land. We explored all kids of other options and it came down to this. We wanted to enjoy the sunset view on a yacht and get married at the same time. Brenda and I fell in love with the idea of a wedding on a yacht. I want her to have the best wedding because she really deserves it. We both don’t come from rich families, so we are paying for everything ourselves. I feel that if you put your mind to it, anything is possible. We will have approximately 150 guest. We have huge family on both sides. Our 6 flower girls will be dressed in rainbow colors to represent the LGBTQ community. Both our fathers will be walking us down the aisle, which is a huge milestone in our families. We just want to have a beautiful wedding and celebrate our love with family and friends.
- Do you plan to start a family after you are married? Why or why not? Brenda and I do want kids. She is younger than me so we have a few years to save money and possibly buy a house. Brenda will be carrying the baby. Our plan is to have 2 kids. We love children and see our future with children.
- When life gets busy, what do you do to stay focused on each other? Since the engagement I have taken up another job. I now work 2 jobs to make sure all our wedding needs are met. Brenda works full time also. Every chance we get whether its morning, noon, or night…we make time. We go eat, go to the movies, make an effort to plan a date, go to the gym, spend time with family together, make breakfast or lunch, bring flowers home, buy her favorite snack & leave it by her desk, randomly text her an emoji with hearts, give her a hug and a kiss, and say “I love You” everyday. There is always time to show love and affection. We never stop dating each other…
- What advice would you give to a couple that is newly engaged? Enjoy this time together. Planning a wedding is hard work but should be fun. Put your thoughts and ideas together because it’s both your special day. Marriage is another chapter in your life that begins with love which is the foundation to happiness and great relationship.
Photographer: Robert Yu Photography